Friends, you are in for a real treat. If you’re looking for a Dutch Oven French Toast recipe, this one is perfect! I took our original recipe for Caramel Apple French Toast and turned it into a Dutch Oven dish that you are going to absolutely love. The Dutch oven turns this dish into something really special and one you can take with you on your next camping trip. You can even choose to leave the apples out if you are not a fan of apples. But, don’t leave out the caramel. Trust me.
Step 1: Prepare the Apple French Toast.
This recipe is best when the French bread has soaked up the milk and egg mixture overnight. So, before everyone heads off to their sleeping bags, make sure you prepare the recipe and store it in two containers that will fit in a cooler or a refrigerator. With trial and error, we found that separating the apple mixture and the bread mixture makes a better French toast rather than combining everything like our original apple French toast.
Step 2: Prepare the coals and your Dutch oven.
In the morning, prepare 26-28 coals as normal. Line your Dutch oven with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray before you add your ingredients.
Step 3: Add the ingredients to the Dutch oven.
Start with the apple mixture in the bottom of the dutch oven and spread it out evenly.
Cover the apples with the bread mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Step 4: Bake the caramel apple french toast.
Put the lid on the Dutch oven and place it on 10 prepared briquettes. Then, place 16 briquettes on the lid. Bake for 40 minutes or until the apples are cooked.
Dig into this yummy French toast on your next camping trip and don’t forget to tell me how it turned out! Post your pictures on Instagram or Facebook and make sure you tag me @thesimplifiedfamily and use the hashtag #thesimplifiedfamily.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 loaf french bread, torn or cut into chunks
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a small saucepan, combine syrup ingredients until sugar is melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Combine the apples and the caramel syrup into a plastic container and store in the fridge or a cooler overnight.
- Mix the eggs, milk, and vanilla in a large plastic container. Add the french bread and toss together to combine and coat the bread. Top with cinnamon and cover with a lid. Store in the fridge or a cooler overnight.
- Line a Dutch oven with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour the apples and caramel syrup into the bottom of the pan. Spread around to evenly distribute.
- Dump the bread mixture on top of the apples and spread around to evenly distribute. Top with cinnamon.
- Cover Dutch oven with lid and place the entire oven on top of 10 prepared coals and place 16 coals on top of the Dutch oven. Cook for 40 minutes or until apples are cooked.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 638Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 201mgSodium 741mgCarbohydrates 94gFiber 3gSugar 51gProtein 17g